Deep Cleaning (SRP)
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Slight discomfort may be experienced after the anesthesia wears off. This typically only lasts 24 hours, but you may experience minor periodic irritation for the next 3 to 4 days. If a prescription for pain medication was not given, 600 mg of Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, etc) can be taken every six hours.
- After 24 hours, rinse with warm salt water two to three times a day (1/2 teaspoon salt to 1/2 cup warm water) for one week to improve circulation and soothe the tissues. Resume normal brushing and flossing after 24 hours.
- Use of commercial mouthwashes (Scope, Listerine, etc.) is not encouraged during the healing process.
- Avoid spicy foods, crispy/crunchy foods, alcohol, and tobacco products during the first 24 hours for optimal healing.
- Some tooth sensitivity will be experienced. This usually diminishes over the next few weeks. Use a desensitizing toothpaste (like Sensodyne) in place of your normal toothpaste until it improves.
- Use caution if taking aspirin containing products as they may interfere with normal blood clotting.
Please contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.