Exams and Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by the dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, the dentist and hygienist will review the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs) – Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss. X-rays also help determine the crown and root position of a tooth.
- Oral cancer screening – Check the face, neck, lips, tongue throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation – Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay – All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations – Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
PROFESSIONAL DENTAL CLEANINGS
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of plaque – Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxis (poisons) that inflame the gums. The inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Removal of calculus (tartar) – Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and has become firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Teeth polishing – remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during brushing and scaling.
With regular dental cleanings and good home care, healthy gum tissues can be achieved for a lifetime. Everyone needs routine professional cleanings to target areas that are difficult to reach with everyday brushing and flossing. We use ultrasonic instrumentation that generates vibrational energy to clean and flush bacteria from underneath the tissue to promote health and healing. Regular dental cleanings with x-rays allow us to detect problem areas in their earliest stages and allow us to provide conservative and less costly solutions!